On Tuesday August 25, the world said goodbye to one of its most precious individuals while heaven above got to say "Hello Dolly!"
We all loved her. Who couldn't love her? That smile, that voice, the kind heart, the always accepting attitude towards all people, the incredible business acumen, the humility, the faith, the loyalty to husband Carl.
Back in the late 80's, Dave and I never missed her Sunday night TV variety show. Our favorite part was at the end when she did a skit playing a waitress who encountered different kinds of customers with different kinds of problems. She always listened to them....I mean like she REALLY listened and had some simple yet profound words and wisdom to help them. I cried sometimes, so sweet were her words and actions. Well, of course I wanted to be more like Dolly...I think I still do. I was a waitress at the Hungry Hunter when I met Dave so I related to her job but couldn't rival her kind heart.
Her interactions with other people on TV and her interviews revealed the most down to earth celebrity I had ever witnessed. She expressed a simple faith in her heavenly father, again with humility and gratefulness.
I heard the news of her passing when I got in the car to come home from the driving range. The newscaster was speaking of her in past tense. OH NO! I said it out loud. Not another one gone. I cried and then suddenly realized how elated heaven was at the same moment I was crying. We cry when we face the departure of a loved one...it's automatic...it's human...it's natural. Loss. Questions.
And then in the blink of an eye, we see the window on eternity opened and we know our loved one, now living in heaven, is filled with more joy and love and peace than they have ever known. Life is grand for them! They are totally fulfilled with every prayer and question answered. As so it makes that transition, that loss not sting quite so horribly deeply.
We realize everything is different, yet everything is the same. We still love them. We just can't see them. We still honor them, we just can't see them. We still hear their words and learn from their lives, we just can't see them.
I know with all my heart that Dolly is still Dolly still doing Dolly things. We just can't see her. But God has prepared a place for her so that she can be with him. He made her beautiful and kind and compassionate and creative and talented and full of faith. He won't let any of that go to waste just because she moved away from us.
God bless you Dolly and Dave!
We know where you are...and while we wait to see you again,
we carry you in our hearts
No comments:
Post a Comment